Those in the social media world look forward to the annual social media marketing whitepaper to get the latest on the who, what, where, when, and why of this industry. Michael Stelzner didn’t disappoint with his third annual report.
Here are a few excerpts that small business owners will want to know:
- Social media has been formally embraced as 2/3 of small businesses affirmed social media’s importance.
- The longer marketers have been using social media, the more time they spend each week on it. Those who’ve been using social media for 3 or more years tend to see more positive results than those who’ve not used it that long. This means STICK WITH IT!
- Those who’ve spent at least 6 hrs./wk and up to 11 hrs/week seem to generate the most rewards.
- The top 3 benefits of using social media are: increased awareness of the business, increased traffic/subscribers, and increased search engine rankings…so it definitely helps to stand out from all the noise and competition.
- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and blogs are the top 4 social media platforms used by marketers, and the majority plan on adding video this year.
- Larger businesses use location-based applications more than small ones.
- The % of marketers outsourcing social media items doubled this year from 2010, although it’s still a minority who are outsourcing (larger businesses may be skewing these results because of using in-house employees.)
- Those who outsource focus on: creation/development, content creation, and analytics.
This report is packed with valuable tidbits, and I encourage you to download the 2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report to review in more detail.
As you read through this study, you’ll see that small businesses, not their big brothers, are yielding the most positive results. This is very encouraging and further underscores that the playing field is equalizing regarding size.
What about you? Are you incorporating social media into your business? If so, what have your results been? What are your top questions about social media? Share your comments below.
To Your Business Succcess,
Becky, for Social Media Services